ePlanning DOI-BLM-NV-W010-2013-0072-DNA (Porcupine Fire – Emergency Stabilization/Burned Area Rehabilitation Project)  
> NEPA Register > DOI-BLM-NV-W010-2013-0072-DNA
NEPA Project Summary 
NEPA #:  DOI-BLM-NV-W010-2013-0072-DNA Status:  Completed
Project Name:  Porcupine Fire – Emergency Stabilization/Burned Area Rehabilitation Project Decision Date:  12/11/2013
Applicant:  BLM    
Case File Number/:
Project Number 
Start Date:     
End Date:     
Project Description:
The Porcupine Fire was ignited by lightning on 6/9/2013 and contained on 6/10/2013. The fire was ignited in the lower foothills of the Santa Rosa Range, and quickly began burning upslope towards the top of the range. The fire consumed a considerable amount of intact wildlife habitat in close proximity to Sage Grouse Preliminary Priority Habitat (within 250 feet), and all of the fire burned in Sage Grouse Winter-Range as defined by the Nevada Department of Wildlife. The fire also burned 197 acres of Mule Deer Crucial Winter Habitat, 136 acres of Bighorn habitat, which is a BLM and Forest Service sensitive species, and 100% of the fire area is defined as year-round habitat for pronghorn. The Porcupine Fire affected ecological two sites on BLM-administered lands. 95% of the BLM burned acres occurred in Ecological Site 024XY005NV, which is a loamy soiled site, receiving 8-10” of precipitation annually. Dominant species (in reference condition) include Wyoming big sagebrush and Thurber’s needlegrass. The remaining 5% of the fire area occurred in Ecological Site 024XY028NV, which is a loamy-soiled site receiving 8-12” of precipitation annually. Dominant species (in reference condition) include Wyoming big sagebrush and Bluebunch wheatgrass. Approximately 40% of the fire burned flat/gently rolling ground and 60% occurred on steeper mountain slopes above the flats. Approximately 50% of the flat areas were burned in 2004 and were dominated by invasive annual grasses when the Porcupine Fire occurred.
Project Location:
T. 41 N., R. 37 E., sec.13, 24
Project Lead:  Eric S Baxter    
Phone Number:  (775) 623-1500    
Email Address:  ebaxter@blm.gov    
Office(s):  Humboldt River FO Lead Office:  Humboldt River FO
Program(s):  Wildland Fire Management Subprogram(s):  None
Cooperating Agencies:     

Document Name Release Date Available Formats Public Comment Period
DNA Documents 12/12/2013  (7 Files)

Last Updated:  12/12/2013 09:56:55 MST